Friday, April 9, 2010

Pope Benedict Chooses to Avoid Scandal Over Protecting Children - Documents


By Patrick Noaker

Here are the facts:

• Fr. Stephen Kiesle is criminally convicted for molesting numerous parish boys;

• The Bishop of Oakland, California requests to Cardinal Ratzinger that Fr. Kiesle be laicized (defrocked) because he is dangerous to kids;

• Fr. Kiesle himself requests that he be laicized and relieved of his duties as a priest – specifically celibacy.

Then Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict, refuses to laicize Fr. Kiesle. According to secret documents signed by then Cardinal Ratzinger, laicizing Fr. Kiesle could compromise the good of the Universal Church and be a detriment to the community of faithful.

See the documents to and from then Cardinal Ratzinger and the BBC translation of the document written from Cardinal Ratzinger in Latin.

Am I missing something? Getting rid of a dangerous convicted child molester can compromise the good of the Universal church? This is just one example of how then Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict, chose to avoid scandal in the church over protecting kids. What do you think of this logic?

AP EXCLUSIVE: Letter shows future Pope Benedict resisted defrocking molester priest

By GILLIAN FLACCUS , Associated Press

Last update: April 9, 2010 - 2:58 PM

LOS ANGELES - The future Pope Benedict XVI resisted pleas to defrock a California priest with a record of sexually molesting children, citing concerns including "the good of the universal church," according to a 1985 letter bearing his signature.

The correspondence, obtained by The Associated Press, is the strongest challenge yet to the Vatican's insistence that Benedict played no role in blocking the removal of pedophile priests during his years as head of the Catholic Church's doctrinal watchdog office.

The letter, signed by then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, was typed in Latin and is part of years of correspondence between the Diocese of Oakland and the Vatican about the proposed defrocking of the Rev. Stephen Kiesle.

The Vatican refused to comment on the contents of the letter Friday, but a spokesman confirmed it bore Ratzinger's signature.

"The press office doesn't believe it is necessary to respond to every single document taken out of context regarding particular legal situations," the Rev. Federico Lombardi said. "It is not strange that there are single documents which have Cardinal Ratzinger's signature."

The diocese recommended removing Kiesle (KEEZ'-lee) from the priesthood in 1981, the year Ratzinger was appointed to head the Vatican office that shared responsibility for disciplining abusive priests.

The case then languished for four years at the Vatican before Ratzinger finally wrote to Oakland Bishop John Cummins. It was two more years before Kiesle was removed; during that time he continued to do volunteer work with children through the church.

In the November 1985 letter, Ratzinger says the arguments for removing Kiesle are of "grave significance" but added that such actions required very careful review and more time. He also urged the bishop to provide Kiesle with "as much paternal care as possible" while awaiting the decision, according to a translation for AP by Professor Thomas Habinek, chairman of the University of Southern California Classics Department.

But the future pope also noted that any decision to defrock Kiesle must take into account the "good of the universal church" and the "detriment that granting the dispensation can provoke within the community of Christ's faithful, particularly considering the young age." Kiesle was 38 at the time.

Kiesle had been sentenced in 1978 to three years' probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor charges of lewd conduct for tying up and molesting two young boys in a San Francisco Bay area church rectory.

As his probation ended in 1981, Kiesle asked to leave the priesthood and the diocese submitted papers to Rome to defrock him.

In his earliest letter to Ratzinger, Cummins warned that returning Kiesle to ministry would cause more of a scandal than stripping him of his priestly powers.

"It is my conviction that there would be no scandal if this petition were granted and that as a matter of fact, given the nature of the case, there might be greater scandal to the community if Father Kiesle were allowed to return to the active ministry," Cummins wrote in 1982.

While papers obtained by the AP include only one letter with Ratzinger's signature, correspondence and internal memos from the diocese refer to a letter dated Nov. 17, 1981, from the then-cardinal to the bishop. Ratzinger was appointed to head the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith a week later.

California church officials wrote to Ratzinger at least three times to check on the status of Kiesle's case. At one point, a Vatican official wrote to say the file may have been lost and suggested resubmitting materials.

Diocese officials considered writing Ratzinger again after they received his 1985 response to impress upon him that leaving Kiesle in the ministry would harm the church, Rev. George Mockel wrote in a memo to the Oakland bishop.

In the November 1985 letter, Ratzinger says the arguments for removing Kiesle are of "grave significance" but added that such actions required very careful review and more time. He also urged the bishop to provide Kiesle with "as much paternal care as possible" while awaiting the decision, according to a translation for AP by Professor Thomas Habinek, chairman of the University of Southern California Classics Department.

But the future pope also noted that any decision to defrock Kiesle must take into account the "good of the universal church" and the "detriment that granting the dispensation can provoke within the community of Christ's faithful, particularly considering the young age." Kiesle was 38 at the time.

Kiesle had been sentenced in 1978 to three years' probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor charges of lewd conduct for tying up and molesting two young boys in a San Francisco Bay area church rectory.

As his probation ended in 1981, Kiesle asked to leave the priesthood and the diocese submitted papers to Rome to defrock him.

In his earliest letter to Ratzinger, Cummins warned that returning Kiesle to ministry would cause more of a scandal than stripping him of his priestly powers.

"It is my conviction that there would be no scandal if this petition were granted and that as a matter of fact, given the nature of the case, there might be greater scandal to the community if Father Kiesle were allowed to return to the active ministry," Cummins wrote in 1982.

While papers obtained by the AP include only one letter with Ratzinger's signature, correspondence and internal memos from the diocese refer to a letter dated Nov. 17, 1981, from the then-cardinal to the bishop. Ratzinger was appointed to head the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith a week later.

California church officials wrote to Ratzinger at least three times to check on the status of Kiesle's case. At one point, a Vatican official wrote to say the file may have been lost and suggested resubmitting materials.

Diocese officials considered writing Ratzinger again after they received his 1985 response to impress upon him that leaving Kiesle in the ministry would harm the church, Rev. George Mockel wrote in a memo to the Oakland bishop.

"He admitted molesting many children and bragged that he was the Pied Piper and said he tried to molest every child that sat on his lap," said Lewis VanBlois, an attorney for six Kiesle victims who interviewed the former priest in prison. "When asked how many children he had molested over the years, he said 'tons.'"

Cummins, the now-retired bishop, told the AP during an interview at his Oakland home that he "didn't really care for" Kiesle, but he didn't recall writing to Ratzinger concerning the case.

"I wish I did write to Cardinal Ratzinger. I don't think I was that smart," Cummins, now 82, told AP.

Documents obtained by the AP last week revealed similar instances of Vatican stalling in cases involving two Arizona clergy.

In one case, the future pope took over the abuse case of the Rev. Michael Teta of Tucson, Ariz., then let it languish at the Vatican for years despite repeated pleas from the bishop for the man to be removed from the priesthood.

In the second, the bishop called Msgr. Robert Trupia a "major risk factor" in a letter to Ratzinger. There is no indication in those files that Ratzinger responded.

The Vatican has called the accusations "absolutely groundless" and said the facts were being misrepresented.

___

Associated Press writers Brooke Donald in Oakland, Eric Gorski in Denver, John Mone in San Diego, Raquel Maria Dillon in Los Angeles and Victor L. Simpson in Rome contributed to this report.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Join us on Twitter!!

Please follow us on Twitter for up to the minute stories!!! Click here

Be a Fan on Facebook!! Click here

Please suggest to your friends, family, teachers, etc. and please feel free to leave comments on our blog, Facebook page feedback is great and much appreciated, we want this message to be shared!! Thank you!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Outrageous and Manipulative

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/06/india.minnesota.priest.abuse/index.html?iref=allsearch

Outrageous and Manipulative

By Patrick Noaker

What else can you say about the conduct of Fr. Joseph Palanivel Jeyapaul. First he sexually assaults two girls in Minnesota and then he claims to have never even met the girls in an interview on CNN See CNN Interview. As you can see from the attached emails that were sent by Jeyapaul to one of the girls in September 2005, after Jeyapaul returned to India see emails. These emails contain sentences such as “I miss you, I love you” “I miss you I love you, I kiss you, I hug you,” “You don’t understand my deep love, come to India. I love you I want to see you, waiting for two years [the date she turned 18 years old],” “It is because of you I got a bad name with the bishop and your mum.” Apparently Fr. Jeyapaul defines no contact and no communication a little differently than the rest of us. I am not sure what is more outrageous and manipulative, Jeyapaul lying about his crimes or him summoning the holy scriptures from the Beatitudes, Matthew 5:11 “ Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me” as a defense.

For coverage of other documents referring to Jeyapaul go to www.andersonadvocates.com

Monday, April 5, 2010

Vatican Declined to Pursue Accused Priest




Pictures posted are from Press conference today.















Vatican Declined to Pursue Accused Priest

A Catholic priest charged with sexually assaulting a teenage girl in Minnesota has been allowed to continue working at a Catholic diocese in southern India despite warnings from an American bishop that he could still “pose a risk to minors,” according to church documents released Monday.

Read rest of story here