Thursday, March 4, 2010

Same Old Hard-ball Tactics in Fargo Means Kids are at Risk


By Patrick Noaker

Despite claims that Catholic Dioceses care about the problem of sexual abuse by their clergy, all evidence is that they are up to the same old hard-ball tactics – crush anyone who reports abuse by Catholic clergy. Yesterday I spent the afternoon in Fargo, North Dakota in court fighting the Diocese of Fargo and Shanley High School in a sexual abuse case involving Bro. Raimond Rose. During the hearing the Diocese and Shanley argued that they did not have the duty to tell a fifteen year old boy or his parents that the chaperone for a trip to Orlando, Florida was a known child molester. Their silence regarding prior sexual abuse of Bro. Rose was acceptable. They also claimed that the United States Constitution protects their right to assign known child molesters to teaching positions and trip chaperones. Am I the only person who thinks that this is preposterous? How can we protect our children when our schools and churches think like this? How many teachers within the Diocese and Shanley are known child abusers? According to the Diocese and Shanley, they do not believe that they are required to tell us. How is it possible for a child to be safe at school or church when the leaders of these institutions attack the children who are courageous enough to report the abuse? The Judge didn’t buy these arguments either. The Judge rejected the arguments and ruled that the claims against the Diocese and Shanley are valid.

5 comments:

  1. Very well stated, Pat. I have the same frustrations with the cases we're handling- I feel like my biggest challenge as a new lawyer is having to break down common sense things- like a school has a duty to protect the children enrolled there- without using the words, "Duh" "Really?" and "COME ON." I do enjoy asking, "Who's your favorite nephew, Bishop? Would you enroll him in that school?" in depo. The squirm is classic. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re surprised?

    This is among the reasons I formally left the church. They claim to be the repository and guardian of all moral knowledge. Perhaps they ought to delve into that repository once in a while….

    During my deposition, they wanted to know how long the molestation took each time. I was 7 when it happened. I didn’t know. They kept hammering the point, wanting me to guess. Finally, I responded that I didn’t know, as I had never molested a child. My lawyer almost bit through her tongue. Their lawyer didn’t get it.

    They treat their own victims like criminals, and they will do or say anything to protect the abusers. Oh, they talk a good game about change and reform, but there isn’t any real change or reform going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a school superintendent, I find it unimaginable that any educational institution or organization would not put student safety as their top priority. It is so sad to see the Diocese make excuses and try to justify why they should not be held accountable. I too was abused by Rose and would hope that the church leaders would admit that mistakes were made and take some responsibility. They weren't there for us back then, and it looks like they are not here for us now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you and your client for a victory in court. It's shameful that church officials continue to try and exploit every possible legal maneuver and delay every possible embarrassing disclosure, using tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars (donated by parishioners) to do so.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sergeant William F. Haider, SPPD, MN Internet Crimes Against Children Task ForceMarch 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM

    As a police officer for the past 27 years, the past 7 as an investigator of child exploitation offenses, the ignorance and arrogance of the Catholic Dioceses defies all sensibility.

    As a young police officer patrolling in the dark of night, we are taught to use light to expose danger hiding in the shadows and that what we can't see truly can cause us harm.

    Exposing those who have harmed, or wish to harm our children is no different. Child predators count on their ability to hide in the shadows among us, and thrive on indifference and systematic apathy as sadly exhibited by the Catholic Church.

    Experience has taught me there are no former child molesters. Each and every contact with a child creates another opportunity to victimize. Parents and children have every right to know when a molester jeopardizes their safety, especially within our churches and schools.

    Our society has a responsibility to continue to shine light into the shadows and expose this horrific crime. We must not allow any religious or educational organization to hide what truly can harm our children.

    ReplyDelete

The mission statement of this blog is the sharing of information dedicated to hope, healing and prevention. Please avoid personal attacks and vulgarity. We reserve the right to delete any inappropriate material that does not coincide with our mission statement. Thank you.