Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kidney Donation--Another Testament To The Courage, Inspiration And Generosity Of Survivors

By Jeff Anderson

Today’s news story that Susan Pavlak, long time SNAP supporter and survivor advocate, is donating a kidney to Phil Saviano is poignant and powerful in itself but the kind of thing I see survivors daily doing for others who have been wounded or in need. I have been honored to work with survivors of abuse for over two decades and every day I see and bear witness to survivors who have courage and generosity of spirit that is an inspiration to me. Susan Pavlak’s donating of her kidney to Phil Saviano is perhaps to some a dramatic example of generosity, but it’s a typical gesture that I see every day where members of SNAP and other survivors of abuse connect with one another to support each other and give of themselves in so many ways to do what they can to help others in need and protect the vulnerable. I just want to say I am inspired and grateful to Susan Pavlak and every survivor like her who has found the courage and the generosity of spirit to take action to help our brothers and sisters. Kudos to Susan Pavlak, Phil Saviano and every wounded healer that is a part of a shared journey, mission and a purposeful life.

http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2009/08/26/a_bond_beyond_abuse_survivor_gives_kidney/

5 comments:

  1. I am sending wishes for good health and healing to Phil and Susan. Phil was one of the first people to reach out to me when I went public with my own abuse of a priest. I am forever grateful to Phil and to Susan for giving him this wonderful gift of life.
    Christine Hickey
    Boston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I obviously meant to say, abuse "by" a priest! Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan Pavlak's heart, courage, wisdom and strength has been a strong pulse in Minnesota clergy abuse survivor and supporter community for years. Now look at what she has done - raised the national awareness of the giving spirit, care, and compassion of the survivor community.

    Susan is a real "Good Samaritan"

    I am honored to call her a friend,
    Bob Schwiderski

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let’s hope that every person who reads this story will honor Susan and Phil by considering donating an organ, or at least donating blood, to help those in medical need. Thanks for the recognition of the immense generosity that is exhibited day-in and day-out within the survivor community. I feel so honored to be involved in such a life-giving and amazing group of folks. Best wishes to all!
    Barbara Blaine
    SNAP President

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been proud of the courage and determination of my SNAP Brothers and Sisters, but never more than now.
    Vicky Martin
    SNAP Long Beach, CA
    Survivor of Father Franz Robier
    San Bernardino, CA

    ReplyDelete

The mission statement of this blog is the sharing of information dedicated to hope, healing and prevention. Please avoid personal attacks and vulgarity. We reserve the right to delete any inappropriate material that does not coincide with our mission statement. Thank you.